Current:Home > MyCharges against Miles Bridges connected to domestic violence case dropped -Stellar Wealth Sphere
Charges against Miles Bridges connected to domestic violence case dropped
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:57:02
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Criminal charges connected to a domestic violence case against Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges were dropped Tuesday because of “insufficient evidence,” court documents show.
Bridges had been facing three charges for an alleged violation of a domestic violence protection order on Oct. 6, 2023, misdemeanor child abuse and injury to personal property.
The state said in a Charlotte Mecklenburg County Court filing that prosecutors would “not be successful at trial.” The woman who accused Bridges gave conflicting stories of what happened, authorities said.
“Given the lack of sufficient evidence necessary to overcome the inconsistency of these accounts, the state would not be successful at trial,” the court documents signed by prosecutor Samantha Pendergrass said.
Superior Court documents say that when police officers responded to a call they found a woman and her children in a vehicle with a damaged windshield. She initially told police another woman at the house caused the damage, but then told them a few days later it was Bridges who inflicted the damage. Later, the woman told prosecutors she was unsure how her car was damaged, according to court documents.
Bridges had been scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 20 to answer those charges.
He sat out all of the 2022-23 NBA season as a result of the domestic violence case from June 2022. Bridges was accused of assaulting the mother of his children in front of them in Los Angeles.
He pleaded no contest in November 2022 to one felony count of injuring a child’s parent, agreeing to do so in exchange for three years of probation and no jail time. The 25-year-old Bridges was also ordered to complete 52 weeks of parenting classes, 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and 100 hours of community service as part of the agreement.
Before the plea, Bridges had been facing three felony charges — the one he pleaded no contest to, and two others of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death — and up to 11 years in prison.
Bridges missed the first 10 games of this season as part of a league-imposed suspension.
Bridges, who will become an unrestricted free agent after the season, is averaging 20.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game this season for the Hornets.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA
veryGood! (64466)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Saudi Arabia says it will maintain production cuts that have helped drive oil prices up
- Florida State to add women's lacrosse team after USA TODAY investigation
- 'Heavy hearts' after homecoming queen contender collapses and dies on high school football field
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- College football bowl projections: Michigan now top of the playoff ahead of Georgia
- Ex-CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch accused of sexually exploiting young men: BBC report
- Things to know about the resignation of a Kansas police chief who led a raid on a small newspaper
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- A test case of another kind for the Supreme Court: Who can sue hotels over disability access
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Liberty University failed to disclose crime data and warn of threats for years, report says
- Federal government to conduct nationwide emergency alert test Wednesday via mobile phones, cable TV
- 160 arrested in Ohio crackdown on patrons of sex workers
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- DOJ says Veterans Affairs police officer struck man with baton 45 times at medical center
- Will Leo Messi play again? Here's the latest on Inter Miami's star before Chicago FC match
- Monica Lewinsky overcame ‘excruciating shame and pain.’ Now, she’s a voice for anti-bullying.
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
New Mexico attorney general has charged a police officer in the shooting death of a Black man
Gov. Glenn Youngkin's PAC raises over $4 million in 48 hours from billionaire donors
Robot takeover? Agility Robotics to open first-ever factory to mass produce humanoid robots
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Oklahoma’s Republican governor wants to cut taxes. His GOP colleagues aren’t sold on the idea.
Idaho and Missouri shift to Republican presidential caucuses after lawmakers cancel primaries
Jimmie Allen, wife Alexis Gale welcome third child amid separation and assault allegations